Pickled Eggplants – Berenjenas En Escabeche
Probiotics for the day in just one teaspoon! J
- 3 Eggplants
- Himalayan salt
- White vinegar
- 3-4 cloves Garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch Parsley, chopped finely
- 1 tsp Red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp Fresh oregano, chopped finely
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1-2 tsp Paprika
- Peel and thinly slice the eggplant and cut the slices into even thinner strips.
- Layer the strips in a colander and mix with salt.
- Place colander in the sink and put a dish over the top of it to weigh it down. This process is crucial for taking the bitterness out of the eggplant.
- After one hour, squeeze the eggplant. Place the eggplant in a large pot.
- Bring to boil, 1 cup of water to 2 cups of vinegar. As soon as it boils add the eggplant and in no more than 1 minute pour into a colander to remove the liquid.
- In a large bowl, place the sliced garlic and chopped herbs. Squeeze as much of the water out of the eggplant that you can and add to this mixture. Pour in olive oil and ¼ cup of extra vinegar. Stir well. Place eggplant mixture in a jar pressing down to remove all air. Pour more olive oil over the top until it’s submerged. Allow to marinate for a week. Flavour improves over time.
You can add other herbs if you wish or make it chilli hot. J