You can add good quality protein if desired
Serves 3 - 4
- 215g(1 cup) brown rice or quinoa
- 4Nori sheets
- 1ripe Avocado, peeled, mashed
- ½Cucumber, cut into thin strips
- ½Green capsicum, deseeded, cut into thin strips
- ⅓cup Carrot, coarsely grated
- Tamari - to serve
- Cook the brown rice according to the packet instructions and then place in a large bowl. Using a fork, mash in ¼ of an avocado with the rice to give it that traditional ‘sticky’ feel of Japanese sushi rice.
- Slice all of the vegetables and if you’re using tofu or another form of protein, quickly fry this in coconut oil and a little tamari.
- Place a nori sheet,shiny-side down. Use wet hands to spread one-quarter of the rice mixture over half the nori sheet, leaving a 1½cm wide border along the edge closest to you.
- Spread about a quarter of the remaining avocado across the centre of the rice. Arrange one quarter of the capsicum and cucumber across the avocado and top with one quarter of the grated carrot. If you’re using the tofu or meat, place this in here now too.
- Roll up firmly to enclose filling. Brush edge of nori with warm water to seal. Repeat with remaining nori, rice, avocado, capsicum, cucumber and carrot. Set rolls aside, seam-side down, to rest for 5 minutes.
- Cut each roll into 6 pieces. Serve with tamari.